Speed running is a practice that focuses on completing a mission as fast as possible without any marines dying. Completing the official levels of the game within a set amount of time on Normal or harder will earn players a Steam Achievement for each level they manage to successfully speed-run. The difficulty level for a speed run ranges from medium to very hard, and can be nearly impossible for the unprepared. This article contains the general tactics you should use when speed running. For in-depth walkthroughs of each level, see their respective articles below.
Keep in mind that all marines must survive to earn the achievement; this means that you can attempt a speed run with fewer than 4 marines, as long as they all survive and make it in time. A duo consisting of Wildcat and Faith (who both have the Speed Bonus skill) can be particularly effective if played well.
- Speed running on Normal difficulty is the best way to get this achievement. Attempting a speed run on higher difficulties greatly increase the chance of death.
- Avoid trying to speed run in a public game. In general, public players are not adequately skilled or organized for a successful speed run, and are more concerned with kills or survival than mission completion time. Try to find a game where everyone is willing to attempt speed runs.
- If you intend to speed-run in a public game, ask your team beforehand and make sure that everyone is on the same page. Ask them to drop whatever other achievements they are trying to earn and to work only towards the speed run.
- It is not advised to speed-run with players of a low level (i.e. anything below level 10 with no promotion), as they are generally not familiar with the levels or do not have the required equipment.
- Familiarize yourself with the level first. Get to know its layout, its shortcuts (if any), and the precise location of every Swarm ambush. Playing through the level around half a dozen times should have you get to know it fairly well.
During the runEdit
- Always stay on the move when not waiting for an event to occur.
- While on the move, you should not allow any Drones to hit you, but only shoot when an enemy is likely to hit or obstruct you, and only heal when desperate for health.
- Communicate at all times. Make sure that all the objectives are being completed and that everyone is where they are supposed to be.
Loadouts often vary according to the mission being completed and the player's role, but some weapons and equipment are frequently chosen for speed runs:
- M868 Flamer Unit
- Because burning drones are easily bypassed, the Flamer is particularly valuable for the players who are leading or trailing the squad. One burst of flame is sufficient to essentially incapacitate a Drone.
- M42 Vindicator (Officer only)
- The heavy damage output, high rate of fire, and the fact that firing this weapon does not slow down the marine makes the Vindicator especially useful at the back of the squad.
- Grenade Launcher
- Its friendly fire can be devastating, but a skilled player can use its high damage and rate of fire to quickly eliminate any enemies in the vicinity.
- Especially in the hands of Vegas, the Chainsaw is useful for breaking doors, rocks, and large enemies.
- K80 Personal Defense Weapon
- Very high damage rate, but slows down the marine when fired.
- IAF Medical Gun (Medic only)
- Although the squad should be competent enough to complete the mission without being healed, the Medical Gun can be equipped as a precaution. Healing Beacons are not recommended because they require patients to stop, and their healing rate is generally much slower than the Medical Gun's.
- Hacking is significantly easier while under the effects of Adrenaline, which slows down time by a factor of three.
- Hornet Barrage/Smartbomb
- Useful when surrounded by enemies and for clearing out areas with many enemies.
- Freeze Grenades
- Useful when surrounded by enemies and for immobilizing Shieldbugs.
Speed run walkthroughsEdit
| Best time|
|Deima Surface Bridge||2:30||2:03||0:27|
|Landing Bay • Cargo Elevator • Deima Surface Bridge • Rydberg Reactor • SynTek Residential • Sewer Junction • Timor Station|
|Classes • Enemies • Equipment • Marines • Playable characters • Weapons|
Achievements • Challenges • Difficulty • Experience • Leveling • Promotion • Skills • Speed running • Strategy
Campaigns • Console • Custom maps • Mapping tutorials • Maps • Modifications • Patches • Server setup