The SM75 Combat Flares are an offhand item available to all classes at the start. Their primary use is to illuminate an area, but they also grant auto-aim against any aliens caught in their glow. Each flare lasts 30 seconds.
- Great for dark levels or sections
- Grants every marine an auto-aim bonus regardless of weapon
- Stationary once used
The SM75 Combat Flares are a special magnesium flare developed by the SynTek Megacorporation in conjunction with other standard issue firearms. In addition to providing light over an area, the flares also give out a key wavelength of reflective light which aids the targeting - allowing weapons to lock onto any foe caught in the magnesium glow.
- Chuck them into dark areas (such as the air ducts on the right side of SynTek Residential) to detect incoming aliens, or in choke points to assist in deterring a Swarm assault.
- The auto-aim bonus can be devastating with certain weapons, such as the Railgun or the Marksman Rifle.
- If you'd rather have a passive, constant means of illumination and don't mind losing the auto-aim bonus, consider using the Flashlight over the Combat Flares. Nightvision Goggles are another alternative.
- Flares can be set to give off red, green, or blue light in console. Type "asw_flare_r" for red, "asw_flare_g" for green, and "asw_flare_b" for blue.