Experience points (XP) are earned by completing missions and unlocking achievements. Each achievement is worth 50 XP, and experience from missions is based on several factors. See Leveling for a list of unlocks and their associated levels.
Players still earn experience if their character dies during the mission, but the amount of XP gained will generally be lower than that of your surviving squadmates unless you died near the end of the mission.
Experience calculation and modifiersEdit
- Objective Completion
- Each player is awarded up to 1000 XP, split evenly between each objective.
- Up to 100 XP can be earned, and each kill (regardless of enemy type) is worth 1 XP.
- The closer you are to the Speed Run time for that level, the more experience you earn in this category, up to a maximum of 100. In general you will not earn any experience for finishing near the par time for a level; this bonus is based on proximity to the achievement times.
- Friendly Fire
- Up to 100 XP can be earned upon mission completion. 1 XP is deducted for each point of self-damage and friendly fire (including damage from your sentries) inflicted.
- Damage Taken
- Up to 100 XP can be earned upon mission completion. 1 XP is deducted for each point of damage taken during the mission (not your health upon completing the mission).
- A Medic earns 1 XP for every 10 points of health they restore to teammates, up to a maximum of 50 XP for 500 or more health points restored. IAF Personal Healing Kits do not contribute towards this category.
- Fast Hacks
- A Tech earns 25 XP for each successful fast hack, up to a maximum of 50 XP.
- Main article: Steam Achievements
Certain achievements can be redone to provide additional earnings. It will not be announced during the mission, but it will be shown on the Stats/Summary screen during debrief. Each achievement, regardless of re-earnability, is worth an extra 50 XP before the difficulty modifier/multiplier.
Re-earnable achievements include, but are not limited to:
- Quick and Dead – Kill a Swarm Boomer before it inflates.
- If the entire squad focuses fire on a Boomer, it should go down before it can inflate, making this easy to re-earn.
- Gunslinger – Successfully perform 5 fast reloads in a row.
- Very easy to re-earn when you're familiar with the Fast Reload system. If you haven't re-earned it when you near the completion of a mission and your team isn't in a rough situation, then you can fast-reload a few times before exiting.
- Sharpshooter – Complete a mission with better than 90% accuracy.
- This is easier to re-earn in solo runs, since ammo conservation is vital and enemy movement is more predictable. It's also easy to achieve when using a weapon with auto-aim.
- Zero Mortality – Complete a mission on Normal difficulty or harder without any marines dying.
- This is much easier with a coordinated team that has at least one Medic.
- Under the Gun – Roll under a Ranger projectile.
- Short Controlled Bursts – Complete a mission with four marines, without inflicting any friendly fire damage.
- Protect the Tech – Guard the squad's tech so that he takes no damage during the hack.
- With good sentry gun placement, this one is common.
- Close Encounters – Kill 20 Swarm with melee attacks.
- Main article: Difficulty
The most significant impact on your earnings is the difficulty modifier, which applies after all other factors are accounted for.
|Marines • Enemies • Classes • Playable characters • Weapons • Equipment|
Achievements • Challenges • Difficulty • Experience • Leveling • Promotion • Skills • Speed running • Strategy
Campaigns • Console • Custom maps • Maps • Mapping tutorials • Modifications • Patches • Server setup